-
May 8th, 2000, 10:26 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi!
What SONY DV camera has the best picture quality, and best features for producing broadcast quality documentaries?
Thanks,
Klaus
-
May 10th, 2000, 12:34 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I want to know this too. I'm writing an essey on Digital technology vs Film. Can anybody help me?
-
May 10th, 2000, 01:16 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Sony's VX1000 is perhaps their best DV camera.
It's priced over ?2000 though.
-
May 29th, 2000, 04:14 PM
#4
Inactive Member
The Cannon XM-1 is priced at around ?1500.
It might not have the pedigree of the Sony
name, but out performs the vx1000 in picture
quality, features and price.
Having said this, if you really want the
best the Sony VX-9000 is the puppy.
It takes full-size DV, looks like a proper
camera, and will set ya back 3000notes
-
May 30th, 2000, 01:48 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I've been using a vx-1000 for a year now and love it. The only setback is that it doesn't shoot in wide screen format, (if it does I don't know how to do it). I have used the canon and the panasonic equvalents but the picture quality on the Sony is noticeably better than the other two. The price for it has dropped and a newer model has been released which a lot better. Sony is also very compatible with any of the capture cards and editing suites out there. I would reccomend Sony for anyone considering using DV as a format for shooting. There is also a cheaper model than the VX 1000 which is pretty decent as well. Unfortunately I don't know the model number.
-
May 31st, 2000, 03:20 AM
#6
Inactive Member
When DV cameras do widescreen they lose lines to do it. Instead of shooting a wide angle and compressing it horizontally, then expand the image vertically. This means you lose lines. When the image is shown on a widescreen TV the image is expanded widthways.
The way to do real widescreen is to use a good camera (XM-1, vx1000 etc) and employ a real anamorphic lens. These can be obtained from the Widescreen Centre and the cheapest is about 400-500 quid.
ttfn
-
May 31st, 2000, 11:30 AM
#7
Eliud25
Guest
Sony Digital-8.Why?You can use 8mm,Hi-8,Digital-8 tape. Sometimes it's not the chips,or lens,or cost,but the ability to adapt in a changing world that makes it the best. By using three different tapes 8mm,Hi-8,Digital-8 tape and converting it to digital, it is adjusting to the world's need.
-
May 31st, 2000, 01:44 PM
#8
Inactive Member
As far as sony goes they just released the vx2000. Basically the same as the 1000 but a few features added that were missing. 2.5" LCD screen, the battery is on the back so you can use the xtralarge lithium ion batteries, manual zoom and focus rings and a memory stick for stills. There may be some other features as well but these are the obvious ones.
Personally I think the Canon XL1 (different model name in north america??) is a much better camera, of course I've never used either I just like the fact that you use a real lens and I like the picture quality of the XL1 much more. I think it has a bit more of a "film-ish" feel.
I have a D8 myself and find it to be a very good camera. According to Eliud25 there are tapes called digital 8 tapes !!?? Maybe you have them in the UK but they are only repackaged Hi-8 tapes.
adios
tash.
-
May 31st, 2000, 06:02 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Yup, and it takes Cannon EOS lenses
which is rather groovy if you have
a background in photography.
-
May 31st, 2000, 11:17 PM
#10
Inactive Member
The XL-1 will take the EOS lenses if you use an adapter which costs about ?300 or the older Canon FD manual lenses using a ?200 adapter. Useful if you do Wildlife filming as the focal length is multiplied (sorry, can't remember the equation).
Jon.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks